Did you see them? All those glorious leaves to run and play in! I had a great time but now the leaves are all crunched up and it's getting cold. Did you know that our humans don't necessarily like the cold any more than we do? It's true! We get cold even with our fur coats - imagine our poor people! Here are a few things my mommy does to help me when it gets cold outside.
* Feed a little more. It takes energy to keep warm and those extra calories can help!
I think my people eat more too. There sure is alot of pie in our house right now :)
* Check our outdoor water bowls often.
* Shelter is essential. If your pet stays outside, turn the dog house door toward the
South so the wind isn't so bad. Use straw, not hay, as bedding. I'm lucky and
I live in the house. Mom sometimes says I'm a horse though - HA!
* Pets can get frostbite too. Wipe snow/slush/salt from paws and between toes.
* Some medical conditions get worse in the cold. One example of this is arthritis.
The doctors at Stone House help me to feel better in the cold. Ask your vet!
* I never understood cats but they are little and like be to warm like the rest
of us! Sometimes that means they get under the hood of cars. Honk your
horn or bang on the hood before you turn the car on. Be sure to give
any potential stowaway time to wiggle out of their hiding place.
Stay warm and cuddle with your people - they like to stay warm too!
I'm Kona, a 2 year old Rottweiler. I love to run, play and give kisses....alot of licks means alot of kisses! Mom has worked at Stone House for almost 12 years and was just waiting for the perfect dog and I'M IT!! I also have a cat brother and 3 people siblings. I love them all (but the cat won't believe me!)